Followers

DECEMBER

What we love, cherish, wish for. What the highlights of 2017 have been.
(Suggested by Bev Baird)


Update : We are now keeping Themes for a WHOLE MONTH



Thursday, October 16, 2014

Still life, Flower Market Expresso, by Elaine (jaguarish)

I had been to this flower shop / cafe before, without enough time to sketch properly, and felt compelled to visit again.  It smells beautiful when you walk in, and then you get to sit on some mod looking yellow chairs and have coffee or tea.  What more could you want?

Below is today's sketch, which I foolishly started as a warm up sketch (on bad quality paper) and became so wrapped up in the details that I never got around to doing a proper one (on good paper).  I guess I just have to go back again!  I did have some fun "fixing" it when I got home -- I still don't really know what to do with gouache so this was a chance to try them out.  I've shown the "before" shot (taken at the shop) just below the first.




8 comments:

  1. How lovely to sketch in such a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to use new mediums? Gouache is one of my favorite things to mess around with on top of a watercolor that did not work well. I love your floral still life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still find gouache awkward but it was definitely ideal for this purpose... I am just so used to the watercolour approach (leaving white spaces, layering transparently, and working from light to dark) that opaque paints leave me flummoxed!

      Delete
  3. Elaine, this came out really nice! Looks like a great place to sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan, I found myself drawn back there again today (see today's blog post) - certainly a wonderful discovery for me and I think I will be returning often.

      Delete
  4. I love the depth of the blue. This came out wonderful. Good for you for trying new mediums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phoenix, I think the photo actually looks better than the original as I did some photographic enhancements. It does look great as dark blue and I will file away that notion for a future attempt. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving your reactions to our art! We appreciate your comments! They are now being moderated however, to weed out spammers!