Followers

DECEMBER

What we love, cherish, wish for. What the highlights of 2017 have been.
(Suggested by Bev Baird)


Update : We are now keeping Themes for a WHOLE MONTH



Tuesday, April 8, 2014

AWAY FROM HOME, JEZ EDEN

PPPP IS MAKING ME BRAVER!

Some years ago we went to Sussex for an Anniversary holiday.  We stayed in a cottage in the countryside not far from a small river and the coast.  Out walking one day we passed this strange sight - a yacht marooned in the middle of a field, and quite a way from a river or the sea.  I drew this from a photograph I took - I felt there must be an interesting story behind it.

'BOAT IN A FIELD' - JEZ
Pitt Artists Pen in A4 Sketchbook
I would never try to draw this normally, I'm not good at boats.  But encouraged by all your comments, I decided to be brave and plunged right in - no pencil, just straight in with the pen.  Like leaping from the top diving board at the swimming pool!  I hate losing my original drawing, so I took a photograph of the sketch before starting to paint.

Watercolour in very poor quality watercolour paper sketchbook!
I drew and painted the whole thing in a couple of hours - very fast for me, and I'm so pleased that I am learning to speed up and loosen up.  It's another of those things that I already look at and think 'Did I do that?'

11 comments:

  1. Marvellous work - love the lines, colors, fantastical feeling of the composition and the back story! I now imagine this taking sail and lifting off into the sky, somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love the idea of the yacht sailing off into the blue, and appreciate your considered comments here.

      Delete
  2. Jez, WOW!!! This is really good! Your lines are perfect especially on all that rigging on the boat. I would never attempt something like this directly in ink since with boats I never seem to know what I'm drawing. lol How big did you sketch this? Here on Long Island you see boats quite a distance from the water all the time. lol I guess people keep them wherever they have a spot to put them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Wow, Joan, coming from you that is very much appreciated. Without PPPP to urge me on I would never attempt this either, and it was a leap of faith, but I've gained confidence from doing it. Boats are a mystery to me as well, so it was a leap of faith. The sketch was A4, right to the edges of the page, but cropped a little to tidy it.

      Delete
  3. It's so good that sketching and painting here is encouraging you so much. I love both these versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good, Jez! The drawing is perfect, the coloring too! I could not think that you are doubting your skill.But so we are, always want to do things better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good! And it's very nice to hear that PPPP is making you braver, because I feel the same way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who said you could not draw boats? Both of these pieces are fantaswtic.
    Someone had a dream, maybe he still does or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jez, these are both so lovely. I'm so glad you're getting "braver"! We all benefit when we share what we're timid about, try something we're initially unsure of… :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jez, this is simply awesome! Both the ink alone and then the painted version! Bravo on your courage to plunge in directly with ink! That's the rule over at Sketchbook Skool too! And how I draw always! Fun to gave another artist take on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always work directly with the pen, Lynn, but this looked so complicated I got scared. But strangely, I tried one line with a pencil and found I felt restricted and couldn't work with it, si it was back to the Pitt Pen and comfort.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving your reactions to our art! We appreciate your comments! They are now being moderated however, to weed out spammers!