Followers

DECEMBER

What we love, cherish, wish for. What the highlights of 2017 have been.
(Suggested by Bev Baird)


Update : We are now keeping Themes for a WHOLE MONTH



Sunday, March 23, 2014

Parks and Gardens, Marla Eklund, "a little crate garden on it's way"

I love crate gardening because it is easier for me to contain it since it is, quite literally, in a wooden container.  I often try to fasten some of the shallower crates vertically thinking that I can plant vine like plants and they will naturally hang down.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Here is a little drawing I did on an index card of some vines planted in a crate that was hung from my screened in porch.  It worked beautifully last year!


8 comments:

  1. That makes a really nice design. Do you place the crates on their sides? How do you keep the soil from falling out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, what a fantastic idea. I may try this since I can't dig in the dirt anymore. My hands can however in softer soil. This makes a delightful drawing. It would also make a great art quilt. I hope folks click on photos to see them larger and on a dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice idea, and the idea of hanging the crate. It makes an interesting design, and would make a great embroider, or as Lynn says, an art quilt. I wondered what the flowers are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have said pallets not crates and yes I do put them on their sides. I pack the earth pretty tightly and it stays well. To be honest, I mostly run by the seat of my pants so very little is scientific. I try different things until it works.

    I agree with you Lynn, this would make a lovely quilt and I do enjoy quilting. I think I'll give that a whirl and make see if I can come up with something lovely! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea! This would make a pretty printed fabric, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting way of gardening. I agree that this would make a great quilt or embroidered piece. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, the earth stays soft and I think you might enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving your reactions to our art! We appreciate your comments! They are now being moderated however, to weed out spammers!