Followers

DECEMBER

What we love, cherish, wish for. What the highlights of 2017 have been.
(Suggested by Bev Baird)


Update : We are now keeping Themes for a WHOLE MONTH



Sunday, March 2, 2014

"Kitchen" Dinner Prep Lynn Cohen


Last night I went into my crisper and brought out my organic vegetables, well some of them, the ones you see here, and a fresh, organic pineapple. If you follow my other blog you may know that almost one year ago (in April 2013) I started eating a Vegan Diet/Lifestyle. I've enjoyed it so much and reaped so many positive health benefits from doing so that I intend to keep it for the rest of my life.
Therefore, my desire for things organic (no pesticides, or additives, or preservatives) no meat, dairy, eggs, refined sugar.

I laid out my fruit and vegetables then drew them into my sketch book. Followed by standing there painting them where they were on display. My DH came in while I was drawing and asked if I'd found a new way to lose weight! ;-) Funny man.

When I was done painting I sliced a piece of pineapple and put it in my small kitchen counter oven to broil, while I washed and cut up the other vegetables: asparagus (not organic unfortunately), carrots, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, celery, mushrooms and half an onion. I heated a dollop of organic virgin olive oil and tossed in the onion to cook until translucent, added the other veggies; added herbs of basil, ginger, turmeric, thyme, rosemary. After they were well sautéed I added a splash of liquid amino which is  a soy protein, and some soy sauce. At the end I cut up the broiled pineapple and stirred it into the mix of veggies and herbs. I warmed some left over Ferro (an al dente cooked whole grain that is quite tasty) and served the veggies over the grains. It was DELICIOUS!!! And filling.

I used Sharpie permanent marker Ultra Fine point
for the drawing and SX Primacolor black pen for the writing
Winsor & Newton watercolors
My long, narrow Nature Sketch 6" X 12" 130lb. Sketchbook

22 comments:

  1. Lynn, your sketch looks so yummy!!! I love veggies and that is something I miss when we travel. Restaurants never give you enough veggies. People complain about the size of the meat/chicken/fish but I want a serving, not a few scrawny veggies. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to have to create new menu items when we go out to eat. I order a veggie bowl with grilled vegetables at Mexican restaurants, no dairy please. It's surprising how creative I can get restaurants to become (vegan)!!! At a local steak house I get a lot of "sides". (no meat). Don't eat my sketch! LOL

      Delete
  2. Juicy and delicious looking! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this type of loose drawing and painting on a white background, it speaks to me. Interesting layout and the wandering text takes my eye around. Great recipe instructions, my kind of cooking with 'Dollops' of ingredients!

    Having scrolled down and seen all the wonderful artwork by other artists in the group, I should like to join the blog - details:
    jezedenart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jez, thank you for your response to this drawing! Enjoy the dish!
      Glad you want to join us here. I've sent you your invite. You can post anytime now. We look forward to your art on this blog!

      Delete
  4. Lynn, these vegetables are wonderful. Each one "lives" on the page. (I know part of the point of veganism is to not eat things that live, but I'm trying to convey something hard to put into words here! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. Well veggies live too. And fruit lives. It's the furry, skin covered things that had mothers we aren't eating. Actually, my saving animals is a bi-product into veganism. I went in to lower my cholesterol and did! Got off Statin drugs this way. Got rid of being pre-diabetic too. All this and I am also saving the animals! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Pretty amazing! Go you! :)

      Delete
  5. Nicely done...we have all but the Brussels sprouts in our fridge at the moment...oh and broccoli and cauliflower too...which I heard was the new Kale....lol Apparently it's replacing Kale... We love it all and your dish sounds so yummy...but no garlic? We couldn't live without garlic...lol

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I skipped the garlic last night, Giggles. I normally put it in everything! And there is broccoli in my crisper too! :-)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful veggies! Wonderful drawing and painting of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much great color and I love how the text is interspersed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job..you emailed me saying you drew your lunch then ate it.. Thought maybe it was a new diet ..the paper veggie diet. LOL these look like cool illustrations for some Heath magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH wondered if my drawing this was instead of eating, therefore a new way of losing weight! Bright minds think alike!
      The "Lunch" I drew will post tomorrow, and I did eat what I drew, the model, not the drawing after painting it! LOL

      Delete
    2. Thanks for such an incredible compliment too!

      Delete
  9. The food is so interesting and important to everyone. You have sketched the vegetabilies so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE to come over and eat with you-and maybe pick up a few tips on drawing too :) Great page Lynn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving your reactions to our art! We appreciate your comments! They are now being moderated however, to weed out spammers!