Followers

DECEMBER

What we love, cherish, wish for. What the highlights of 2017 have been.
(Suggested by Bev Baird)


Update : We are now keeping Themes for a WHOLE MONTH



Monday, April 14, 2014

Time Away From Home, Pelican by Joan Tavolott

My most recent "time away from home" was a trip with my sister down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to take a collage workshop. I have been going down there in March for a class for about 8 years. We stay in a nice resort right on the water and all meals and evening cocktails are included. It is great time with other artists. We are busy in the studio all day. Most of the time you never leave the property unless you're going out to buy art supplies. So when we go down we usually stay an extra day so we can go to some scenic area nearby and plein air paint.

Usually by the water there are seagulls and pelicans. I like pelicans so I took quite a few photos of them sitting on pilings near the docks and wetlands. They are usually good to sketch en plein air too because they stay put for a while, but this was done from my photo.


3 comments:

  1. Wish we had pelicans here, what an incredible bird to see. Love your painting Joan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these fellows too! We have wonderful ones on the pier in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge which is one of our favorite haunts to walk. I photograph them there. But have never thought to bring my folding chair to sit and draw. Perhaps, next time. This is a fun drawing of your guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sketch of the pelican. My father always used to tell us a rhyme - A wonderful bird is the pelican, his beak can hold more than his belly can …. Surprising what memories a sketch like this can evoke. The restrained use of colour is so effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving your reactions to our art! We appreciate your comments! They are now being moderated however, to weed out spammers!