Followers

DECEMBER

What we love, cherish, wish for. What the highlights of 2017 have been.
(Suggested by Bev Baird)


Update : We are now keeping Themes for a WHOLE MONTH



Tuesday, April 22, 2014

How Human Beings Spend Their Time, "Walking in Brooklyn" by Joan Tavolott

This was done on Saturday as one of my sketches for the World Wide Sketchcrawl that takes place every 3 months. We were in an industrial area in Brooklyn and these people were walking across the Ninth Street Bridge which crosses the Gowanus Canal.

I have to share a story with all of you. Yesterday I was out plein air painting in Setauket. I was sitting by the water painting the pond, the bridge and the forsythia. A man came over and asked if he could take my photo and I said yes. People have asked to take photos of me painting before. There is something about taking photos of artists painting. Anyway, he went to his car and came back with this big camera with a huge lens and started snapping photos. Finally I asked him if he was a professional photographer and he said he works for Newsday which is one of the big Long Island & NY newspapers. He took my name and told me that my photo might be in the paper today. This is the photos that they put in the paper.





19 comments:

  1. It's wonderful Joan. Looks so natural. Love the way these people seem to be in a hurry to where they are going. Isn't that the way it is these days. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Thanks for posting on my blog that you couldn't open the link. I ended up taking a photo of the photo on the computer screen and loading it that way. So much for modern technology. LOL

      Delete
  2. Wow, Joan, what a great painting from Brooklyn, with all those interesting layers, and what a great photo of you painting! You're famous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I did about 6 sketches there of assorted strange looking buildings and junk.

      Delete
  3. Hey, whose that attractive artist painting in the park!? None other than our very own Joan Tavollott! Now famous beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Fame is short lived! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Oops, I failed to mention how well done the art is too... love the cars traveling above the peole walking below.

      Delete
  4. Joan congrats on being featured on paper! The scene is very nice and you look great and focus on your painting. Makes me smile. Also the sketch above is just wonderful.. you captured the busyness of people in the city very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisa. It was an interesting and different kind of location for sketching. The canal has been known for years as one of the most polluted waterways. Not a place you would normally sketch.

      Delete
  5. He captured a beautiful photograph of you. You look so comfortable there too. No wonder people want to photograph you.
    Your painting is first class, I am always so impressed by your skill with architectural elements, and the scale is perfect with those tiny figures crossing the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Jez. I've taking photos of artists painting too. It always says something about the location to me.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Joan, for being featured in the newspaper! Your sketch is wonderful. And of course, you too in the photograph:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great drawing and a really great photo. You are very photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting of the people on the bridge. So glad you shared your story of the photographer, Wow! how brilliant to have been asked like that and end up in the paper....plus, great to see you in a photo AND sketching :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thanks! I went to the library today and the ladies there had seen the photo in the paper. I guess my 15 minutes of fame is lasting a little longer. lol

      Delete
  9. Joan Grats. I think I had mentioned to you last week has any one ever asked about your drawing or just looked. Well that answered my question. Oh for sure your a pro and so relaxed. I am so happy for you. Wow!




    I have know computer since now. Had to get a power adapter from my server as my power adapter had burned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sparkle. For some reason people like taking photos of painters. Most of the time they ask first, which I appreciate. This is the first time I a professional photographer approached me. Glad you have your computer up and running again.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving your reactions to our art! We appreciate your comments! They are now being moderated however, to weed out spammers!